Monday, May 5, 2008

Challenging the Laws of the Day

I have recently completed another module for Accreditation and was asked to write a paper on my insights - I was very nervous. Those of you who have read my blog entries know me well; you know I will challenge authority and ideas, especially if I find them unjust and that I have to dissect the thoughts that come to my mind.

This time however my challenges were going to be marked and it could have resulted in me being called in by the Director, to discuss my dissent. But instead I was pleasantly surprised by the comments of the lecturer who told me he felt that my piece was - brilliantly insightful for perceiving the Word as a sword that cuts keenly, that speaks the truth and confronts injustice. He reassured me that my - witness was that of a person of gratitude - and wait for this - a prophet of hope to nurture others to turn around behaviours that damage the earth and each other. I was both relieved and thrilled.

Here is a condensed version of my paper.

Jesus: Person & Mission

The more I reflect on Jesus as a person and his Mission, the more I wish to seek even if my seeking leads to thoughts that somewhat disturb me. I think it stems from this basic desire to know myself, and to know for myself. I believe it is very important that we - not bend the truth to fit the faith, but bend the faith to fit the truth. Even if the revelations on the journey of discovery should prove to be disturbing; I believe to find truth, real concrete truth will be a marvel that would make it all worthwhile.

It is widely accepted that the spirit of Jesus’ Mission was in direct conflict with the predominance of the conservative adherence to Mosaic Law popular at the time. And if that is so, then it is entirely possible that should Jesus be here in this present moment, that he may be equally critical of what he may construe as conservative adherence to doctrines that may be in conflict with the aims and spirit of his own original mission. He might again be challenging the laws of the day.

Ever since I was a child, I would get into strife for questioning out loud “But how do you know that is what Jesus meant – he also said, ‘seek and you shall find’. Did that not mean he wanted us to investigate further?” Dumbfounded at my brashness, my teachers mostly tried to distract me into believing I was being unnecessarily sinful and controversial.

If he was here today, I think he would want us to interpret the present time – he would want us to decide for ourselves what is right. He would want us to be less preoccupied with too many rituals and novenas offered up in hope of intercession and instead achieve a particular purpose ourselves. I think he would be saddened that we are still concerned with the guilt of our actions instead of doing something to change the things that are wrong with the world ourselves. I believe he would say something like “Why do you not see for yourselves that I suffered and died to free you from sin? The world is dying out there – go forth, see the divine spark within you and use your special vocations to be the change you want to see in the world.” He would remind us that the Kingdom is now, here on our very sick planet and right now we need to save ourselves from ourselves.

Jesus of Nazareth, my Jesus of Today might be outraged to discover what he might see as a widespread, unknowing apostasy undertaking false actions in his name. I think he might sit down in meditation (perhaps for 40 days) and then go into his Father’s house yet again, this time without losing his temper. The Son of God would lead peaceful protests to sell the vast investments of Christendom. He would challenge us to be involved at the grass-root level; feeding the hungry, helping those in disaster zones and making real environmental changes.

Then I think the poor man would be persecuted all over again by those in power. He might be imprisoned, sent to an asylum and subjected to insurmountable amounts of tests to disprove any claim of Divinity. Seriously, how many would have the courage to believe a Mission in direct conflict with the laws, ideas and tenets of today? How many would believe that he could possibly be the Son of God?

Ask yourself ... would you recognise him today?

No comments: