Thursday, April 10, 2008

About Men

Donny used to work at Video Ezy and for six very satisfying years, it provided us with complimentary entertainment that we would experience by simply sitting on our family room couch, Alan with remote in hand - hitting the Play button. One Friday evening, while browsing Donny’s neatly stacked shelves, I decided to take home Legends of the Fall, for a second viewing.

You see, when Legends first came out in 1994, like a lot of women I went to see it for one basic and obvious reason, Brad Pitt looked divine in the promos. But like a lot of people, I was not impressed with the movie. I came away feeling let down and I could not put my finger on what it was. Brad as Tristan Ludlow was magnificent to look at; I don’t think there is a woman alive who would honestly not agree - the man is beautiful, eye-candy of the highest order with tremendous acting ability. The story was pitched as being a thrilling epic adventure with Tristan as the central character, a hero fighting a crusade of madness both within himself and the world around him. A tale of brotherhood and betrayal with scenery so spectacular, it literally did leave me a little breathless. But the movie as a whole, did very little to inspire me. Even Brad with his expressive blue eyes and his character's Mills and Boons hero-hair, tumbling all over the place was not enough. I did not like the movie.

Not until the second viewing that is. On this occasion, I came away feeling somewhat exhilarated - I wanted to tear apart all the characters and explore their personalities. It really was a complex story of character traits that are very reflective of my own observations. I like men, sometimes more than women. And this was a story about the relationships between four very different men and one very unfortunate and beautiful woman.

Legends contained four masculine types and so these are the ones I will mention. And I will then reflect on three of them. The reason I am putting these thoughts in my blog is that over the years, both women and men have had open discussions with me about their relationships. Today I want to share some of my thoughts  on the things I've picked up from these conversations. I am in no way suggesting that men only fall into these categories, what I am saying is ... such masculine types exist.

The father, played by Anthony Hopkins: Col William Ludlow; highly intelligent with old fashioned values, has little understanding of the fairer sex, stubborn and set in his ways. A man who has favourites and does not see the harm in displaying his affection as such.

The youngest son, played by Henry Thomas: Samuel; intellectually very capable but emotionally still immature, very sweet but a little self-centred, not very confident but he is a gentleman who tries to do the right thing. Lovable and overall a very nice boy.

The middle son, played by Brad Pitt: Tristan; so beautiful to look at - he’s right out of a romance novel. He is charismatic, brave, and physically strong with the survival instinct of an animal. An element of the wild and dangerous resides in his gaze, and his dazzling smile leaves the women witless and weak. How his brothers wish they could be loved like him.

The eldest son, played by Aidan Quinn: Alfred; dependable, trustworthy, somewhat dorky, a nerd. Conscious of setting the right example and of doing what is morally correct at all times – deemed boring as a result. A protector and a worker, he gets things done in the background. Has much love to give but often goes unnoticed by all. Average looks.

Okay, no prizes for guessing the one everyone everywhere falls for. After all who did Tristar Pictures pitch as the hero of this movie? It was Tristan, of course.

You will see Tristan in the cool kid at the school playground, the one all the other children want to be seen to be friends with. Tristan is the scorchingly hot guy that the girls have secret fantasies about. He’s the one who makes you feel special for reasons you cannot put into words.

Isn't it any wonder at all that I did not like Legends the first time I saw it because a Tristan could never be a true hero in my humble assessment. I have known several Tristans-like men. They are the illusion of all that is beautiful and rare. They bear the semblance of everything that human nature thinks it wants. Sadly, too often Tristans break hearts – it just happens that way. Tristans do not set out to break hearts, at least  in Legends I don't believe for a minute that he did. But once caught in that mesh of delusion even when he’s made a woman feel wretched, it becomes very difficult for her to separate herself from him and to believe that she can breathe on her own again.

Young Samuel. Samuels are lovely men and generally make good friends. But they are hatchlings when it comes to relationships; in the sense that they need to mature. Full marks to them for being very open to suggestions of growth and being less egocentric are ever willing to give things a go.  However many a woman has failed with a Samuel-like man. It saddens me that a lot of women lack the wisdom and honesty to be direct and bare their souls if they are in such a relationship. For such a man needs to be told how his partner is feeling. And with the right woman, a man with Samuel's characteristics truly grows.

Alfred. Please give this man the time of day, for Alfred is the real hero in this film - for me. He is the man a woman who chooses happiness would choose for her life-long partner. He is only dorky and boring because he has not yet met the right woman or been loved by the woman he is most comfortable and at ease with. Alfreds have the greatest capacity to love, because they have spent so much time waiting to give love. They work hard and are ambitious, seldom preoccupied by other distractions once their mind is set on a task. While they have mostly gone unnoticed, they have honed these characteristics which will make them leaders of men someday.

And you know what … they are never boring, trust me. Two of my most favourite happily married men are Alfreds. My Alan. Nadia’s Sam. Our Legends



.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Best Friend, a very smart and beautiful, simple and satisfied woman. Thank you for teaching me what you know (not just of men!).

MAYA said...

I love you Magoo! Thank you for being my best friend and THE most yummy yummymummy I know!