Sunday, April 6, 2008

Accountablity

“Love one another as I have loved you.” Such uncomplicated words, yet we know how difficult it is to put into daily practice. We are always rushing, our minds racing like athletes ahead of where we physically are. Choosing to be self-interested can very often be an easier option than stopping to do the right thing.

Four years ago I chose to stop. I realised that I have been like a bottle of apple juice that is constantly being shaken. My mind was full of those bits that float around and cloud the juice. I realised I needed to sit quietly daily. My mind like apple juice needed to settle at some point everyday in order for me to see clearly, in order for me to choose to love.

I work for a Catholic organisation. Recently while doing a unit in Catholic Accreditation, I contemplated a word in unity with the many stories from both the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures - accountability. We are liable. We have to be responsible for life; our own, that of each other and this planet we have been entrusted with.

We need to love our world – not just the people and animals but the earth itself. And we are guilty of not making all of this a priority in our lives. Can we truly live without testing the truth? I always think that I want to be challenged; that I want to investigate and get to the bottom of things. The Buddha encourages us to investigate everything, and if I want to walk in his footsteps and live a Buddhist life-style, I must be brave enough to physically accept that I am accountable.

If we stop rushing and start being more mindful, we will want to make a difference. If we imagine ourselves as our great grandchildren – not just thinking of our great grandchildren but imagining that we have been rebirthed. We are them, born into a dying planet on a boat, where the sea-levels have risen – refugees of climate-change. Drinking water is fast running out, our parents keep arriving at land so over populated that every time they think they have reached a place to start life on, our boats are pushed away and we are fired upon.

These days, many of us have more than one home. People work very hard and sacrifice much quality time that they could spend doing more meaningful things just to have that investment. "It is for our future, for our children." I wonder why do we allow ourselves to think we need that sort of material investment for the future when we already have a roof over our heads? We have to break this cycle of delusion and challenge ourselves to live simpler lives. With generous hearts, we must find creative ways of investing in our planet and in a real future for our children.

Our planet is dying and mother nature is calling. How many of us can honestly say, "I am ready."

No comments: