Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Earth Day

I am thinking back to the times when I have sat in church and listened to Sunday sermons given by the various priests from my Catholic childhood through to my adult life. Perhaps the sermons have changed and the church is now more open, but sadly when I look into Catholicism’s soul, I cannot help thinking it is still a somewhat exclusive alliance with man-made doctrines. Tolerate me, please I beg of you, for I have a great deal of love and respect for Jesus and his teachings, but feel much of his message has been lost and misunderstood. I know these are radical and strongly worded statements, considering I have spent the last 10 years working closely within a Catholic organisation. But perhaps I can say this because I have sadly witnessed it around me on such a regular basis, with increasing disbelief.

It is unfortunate, but I have been shepherded through many instances which have led me to be simultaneously filled with aggravation, sadness and often after I have had a chance to sit quietly and think about it, compassion. My present frustrations come from the directive for planning our forthcoming staff development day at the office. As always, a planning committee has been set up. I have been intensely involved for the past 5 years and every year it presents a bigger challenge to come up with fresh ideas to invigorate the staff so the day is as complete a learning and growing experience as possible.

This year, after a successful Earth Hour which many Australians took active part in one Saturday night about a month ago, we decided to have Earth Day as our theme. Putting our thinking caps on we have come up with some very good ideas. Instead of hiring transport to bring us to places to engage in the various activities like tree planting or weeding, we could keep the off-site venues close enough for staff to walk to. We could do an electrical audit before the day to work out how much we use per day. Then try to seriously conserve power on the actual day, and donate the difference in cost to an environmental cause. We could have lunch that was prepared from ethically fair-traded food items. Just to highlight a few of the ideas.

And then the directive came to us – Remember we are ‘Keeping it Catholic’. As I am normally the committee member in charge of catering – this instruction although not unexpected, has still put a great deal of restriction to what I could possibly serve or whom I could engage in the catering. You are wondering what I mean. Why would three words set me off to spend so much time in deep thought and then to write this blog.

You see, the fair-trade meal places I could approach to cater for the numbers I require, here in Western Australia are run by Hindus, Buddhists and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness commonly known as Hare Krishnas. And ‘Keeping it Catholic’ in the restricted view of our mandate meant the exclusion of such, dare I say - pagans. A highly offensive term to many, that in our politically correct society would not be repeated out loud in conversations but is ironically however, still used in the sacred Christian readings at Mass to describe anyone who does not acknowledge the God of the Bible. How often have I heard the word in sermons as a child and not fully understood? How often have I read it in texts as an adult and challenged the use of the word in liturgical sharing groups?

I had a discussion with a staff member – who happens to be Aboriginal and Catholic – as I sat down with a cup of mint tea on the chesterfield in our staffroom. He runs a fair-trade shop with a small café attached to it in Northbridge. I was going to order our coffees for our morning tea from him and perhaps some biscuits, and mentioned my lunch time dilemma. His immediate response was disbelief. Being in the business he knew for example, that the Hare Krishnas use fair-trade rice, lentils and even butter to prepare their meals. These people are highly aware of fair-trade, but they followed a different path and for that reason alone I was not allowed to engage their services. These peace loving people should not be confused with the hippie subculture, they do not indulge in alcohol or intoxicants and have a pure love for God. I cannot help but wonder – would Jesus not be saddened? Did the Son of God not associate with people from all and sundry – was he not totally inclusive and fair? Remember the story of the Good Samaritan? (Luke 10:25-37)

Which then got me thinking - I remembered when Alan and I were leaving on our last trip to India on October 07. I was told by my sister-in-law whom I treasure deeply and affectionately call SIL that someone within our circle of family and friends had a lot of clothes to donate to charity. SIL excitedly told her that we were going to India and that we always bring items to give to the poor families there. Imagine SIL’s surprise when she was instantly told that the donations were meant for a Catholic organisation only, and they would donate it to the St Vincent de Paul Society here in Perth instead. My compassion for the woman ran deep; perhaps she did not know of the number of clothes that were rejected and thrown away by the Society in the back rooms of their outlets. Those very cast-off items that the people living in the slums in India so desperately would have welcomed. Perhaps it is because she has never looked into the eyes of these Hindu people and she has never been touched by the overflowing smiles of their children.


Another person close to me told me once that if we ever go to Kolkata, she would give me a cheque to present to Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity. I told her she did not have to wait for us to go to Kolkata to make a donation as there are many agencies in desperate need of her kindness perhaps even more than the Missionaries of Charity as they are world famous. She looked at me unable to say anything, but her silence told me what she was thinking. They are not Catholic.

Can you imagine Mother Teresa on finding that dying woman in 1950, in a dustbin in Calcutta, (as it was known then) asking “Are you Catholic?” Then excusing herself because the answer had been no? That poor unwanted woman was the catalyst that began Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity, I seriously doubt Mother's hospice would have been so over-crowded with unwanted, dying people or have become the institutions of dignity and care that they are today if she was only helping Catholics. Sister Josephine, from my school days in Katong Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus was the person who first introduced 10 year old me to the miraculous woman that Mother Teresa was. Coming from a country of so many different faiths, I never wondered what religion the dying were, there was no separation of beliefs for me – until the issue with the cheque presented itself.


When we were in Varanasi 2 years ago, I saw that Mother Teresa had a centre up in one of the Ghats along the holy and polluted Ganges. I cannot imagine that there are many Catholics in Varanasi – the Holy City where every other shop was a place where medicines were being dispensed. A city where the smoky air is thick with the smells of never ending funerals and sick people. Varanasi is the end station of life’s journey for the many Hindus who go there to die. Mother Teresa’s nuns are not there to bring comfort to sick, dying, unwanted Catholics.

But try explaining that to a person who cannot grasp the fullness of Jesus’ wonderful inclusivity. Or at my office to the Executives who would prefer I cater the mid-day meal from anyone else as long as they are not associated with another belief. Never mind our reasoning of ethical trade and encouraging staff to be mindful of the unfair suffering that could be behind the product they are about to buy. The mandate states - we have to keep it Catholic.

A special friend I know, named Jesus would have been overjoyed on our Earth Day to part-take in a simple meal prepared using ethically grown food, cooked by the Hare Krishnas of Perth - of this I am certain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babe, I am so sad thinking about what you have had to put up with.

We all live on this earth together and we are all connected. If we were all the same, life would be uninspiring. I wish more people knew that.

~Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there~ Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, Persion poet, 1207-1273

MAYA said...

Oh babe - I love you so much. Thank you for that, I am so lucky to have you. Your quote is so wonderful, may I use it?