Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Love My Life

Life has unfolded so beautifully for me.

When I left high school, I made the decision not go on to university because times were tough and I knew if someone in my family should be given that opportunity, it should be my brother. My father could only afford to send one of us. Many girls after all, still opted for secretarial school and a job in an office downtown. Girls would get married and be mothers someday, girls might end up being a stay-at-home mum or working part-time to supplement the household income. It was the late 70’s and most women no longer thought that way, but it rang true for me. What work could I possibly do with a degree in the finer arts in Singapore? I would still paint, take photographs and create within the quarters of my personal life, but I wanted more than anything to be an amazing wife and mother - that was my real ambition and the goal I endeavoured to achieve.

And you know what? I have. I love my life and have a truly astonishing relationship with both my husband, Alan and our 22 year old son, Donovan. We moved to Australia in 1987. Alan and I had just turned 25. We had $6,000 in our pockets and young hearts ready for the adventure. The Hungry Years is what we fondly call those early days. It sometimes overwhelms me when I look back at those challenging times. I am grateful at how skilled we became in creating beauty out of very little and how much closer we grew as a couple during those years.

We call ourselves The Travelling Children; Alan and I. We have a gorgeous comfortable home which has been the canvas for my art. We have raised an amazingly unique child into a young man of great integrity who seems incapable of doing anything devoid of dazzling to his peers and his parents. (Check out Donovan's blog, http://www.theminutehands.blogspot.com/)

As far as my work went, that is all it ever was - employment that lasted 9 to 5, with the opportunity to engage in adult conversations, office gossip and 5 weekday lunches with a mixed bag of friends. I wasn’t concerned about advancement and earning more than an average wage, the adrenaline rush of doing little more than just window shopping with those fortnightly pay packets was enough.

Now at 45, I'm thinking I want to retire. I want to venture into something new. It's time to take my art out of these personal quarters.

No comments: